Established in 2016, Northern BIDs Group (NBG) provides strategic leadership and a unified voice for the Business Improvement Districts in cities in the North of England.
Its primary purpose is to make the case for:
- The Northern cities where their members are based
- The flexibility and effectiveness of the BID model and the potential to further expand their areas of operation
NBG Headline stats
- NBG represents 8,000 businesses
- Combined value of members rateable value is in excess of £105m
- Investing over £40m private sector funds
- Combined cities residential population of 4.8m, with combined catchment of 30m
- Combined annual footfall of 250m per annum
Background on BIDs
Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) have a proven track record of delivering significant change across the country. Established by business following a statutory vote and with democratic oversight from Local Authorities, the BID model is highly flexible and enables businesses to focus on the issues that deliver the maximum return on investment for their members.
BIDs, particularly in the UK’s major cities, have become an intrinsic element in delivering economic growth. They provide strategic leadership and a stronger voice for businesses on those issues that deliver maximum economic impact.
The growth in BIDs (from 63 in 2008 to in excess of 290 at present) and recent establishment of Property Owner BIDs in London, illustrate the demand from the business community, both occupiers and owners, to contribute more and play an increasingly active role in the economic development and management of their areas.
percentage vote in favour of renewing commercial district BID
invested in Liverpool’s Commercial District Public Realm.